First Trust Bank is very conscious of its responsibilities to the environment, in particular that the needs of today's society should not be achieved at the expense of the sustainability of future generations.
In order to fulfil this goal we have initiated an Environmental Management Programme which gives everyone in First Trust Bank an opportunity to make a contribution towards a better environment both at work and in their personal lives.
Good environmental management is also an important contributor to overall business performance. Internally we principally impact on the environment through our energy consumption and our use of paper. By reducing energy consumption and waste and making improvements in overall efficiency we cannot only improve the environment but also improve the health of our business.
The environmental programme has outlined a number of objectives linked to the overall directions defined in our environmental policy. As we work towards delivering these we do so within a framework of continuous improvement. It is our overall objective to continue to integrate the Environmental Management System as much as possible within the normal operating and management structure, so that it continues to be an integral part of how we conduct our business.
The First Trust Bank Environmental Management System (EMS) is formulated to progress our current environmental performance to a higher level.This programme links policies to individual objectives and targets. A selection of objectives with targets are outlined below.
Objectives and Targets
- Integrate the EMS into daily operations by raising environmental awareness through the Branch Network and evaluating the performance of the EMS via an audit system.
- Manage energy efficiently across all operations and monitor energy consumption.
- Monitor waste going to landfill and reduce by 3% of total and increase percentage of waste recycled by 4% by 2012.
- Incorporate environmental issues in First Trust Bank training programmes and promote advantageous environmental practices through all staff.
Our calculated operational environmental impact for 2011 was:
- Electricity consumption 4095079 kWh and includes 100% renewable energy covering Head office and entire branch network including ATMs
- Gas consumption 1190337 kWh for head office and branch network
- Oil consumption 123415 litres for all locations
- Waste to landfill 148.47 tonnes for head office locations and branch network down 9%
- Recycle Waste diverted from landfill 154.12 tonnes, up 9%
- Paper consumption 11575 reams for head office and branch network
- Water consumption 9354 units for all locations
- Transport 467105 business miles
The contact point for any enquiry is:
Back to top
First Trust Bank
PO BOX 123
92 Ann Street