Current account banking at its simplest. Easy to understand and easy to manage. Get only the essential services you need, to keep bank fees to a minimum and avoid any fuss.
- Ideal if you are over 16 and don't have any other current account.
- Cash card - for easy money management.
- Pay bills by direct debit.
- Statements will help you keep track of your money.
Here's how it works
You can have a Basic Bank Account if you are 16 or over and you do not have a current account or other basic bank account with another bank or building society in the United Kingdom.
You can have your wages or benefits paid into your Basic Bank Account.
- Cash Card
You can use the cash card to withdraw money from First Trust Bank cash machines and certain First Trust Bank euro cash machines in Northern Ireland and AIB Bank cash machines in the Republic of Ireland. You can also use your cash card to withdraw cash and check the balance of your account, free of charge, at any post office in Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales.
- Pay regular bills
If you have regular bills to pay (such as electricity or phone bills) you can pay them automatically by direct debit.
- Online and Phoneline Banking
Keep up to date and view your accounts.
Fees and charges
- Day-to-day transactions on your Basic Bank Account are free, but you may have to pay certain fees in the following circumstances.
- Unpaid items. There is no overdraft with your Basic Bank Account, so you must have enough money in your account to cover any items you need to pay for. You may have to pay an unpaid-item fee if we are unable to take payments because there are not enough cleared funds in your account.
- If you need copies of statements.
- If you need a replacement for a cash card you have lost.
For full details of these and other fees that may apply, refer to our fees and charges brochure contained in the “Important Information” section below. Alternatively, you can telephone our Basic Banking Centre on 028 9034 6160 for more information.
Back to top